Wrestling Moves: Here’s One for Thought
In wrestling, they call it pinning your opponent. It’s the move that takes your adversary down and aligns you with victory. What if you had your own pin move for dealing with the incessant nagging thoughts that enter your mind when you are faced with a complex problem?
For example, do you ever walk away from a conversation with a colleague, friend or spouse feeling frustrated because you don’t feel heard? Do you notice the flood of thoughts that enter your mind?
“Why can’t they see things the way I do?”
“How come they don’t listen?”
“They’ll never understand.”
“I don’t fit here.”
“Why do I keep trying?”
You might even replay the scene over and over in your mind, or stir up events that occurred 5, 10 or even 20 years ago.
You may automatically assume that you are surrounded by the wrong people or circumstances. But, if you take a closer look, chances are that there’s a recurring theme; a stream of thought or belief system that takes you out of the match over and over again. You know something needs to change when you can’t stop tossing and turning the thoughts in your mind. And, while all the scenarios are different, there’s one common denominator – You.
Consider the time and energy that you spend each and every day wrestling with these familiar, energy draining thoughts. Chances are they cause you stress, overwhelm and frustration. These thoughts interfere with your energy, confidence and motivation. They may even be causing you to slowly shrink away from, or settle for less than, what you truly desire.
Imagine how fluid your motions would be throughout the day if you could quickly apply your pin move and put your limiting thoughts on their back. Think about how much extra time and energy you would save. 1, 2, 3.
Here are 5 simple strategies to make sure YOU come out on top:
- Focus on the Big Picture: Remove yourself from the wrestling match and give yourself a chance to pivot. What’s happening? What is your ultimate goal in this situation? What thoughts or actions can you choose that move you closer to that outcome?
- Apply the Shrink or Expand Test: Ask yourself: Do I feel like I am shrinking or expanding? If you feel like you are shrinking, it’s an indicator that your thoughts are off track. Imagine a ladder and use it to take your thinking to a better place.
- Don’t believe everything you think: Challenge the heck out of your thinking. Just because you think it doesn’t mean it’s real or valid. Build the muscle of questioning your own thoughts.
- Write it down. Get your thoughts on paper. Stand back for greater perspective. Identify the players in the match. Which thoughts stand in favor of your best interest? Align with those!
- Play your pin move! Increase awareness of your thinking, challenge it and align it quickly with what you really want. Practice, practice, practice.
Being on top means you have the power to choose the thoughts that take you closer to your desired outcomes.
With focused attention and effort, you will find yourself applying your pin move with greater velocity and ease.
Learn how to play your pin move today.
Take the Frame of Mind Assessment and receive a complimentary 1-hour coaching call with one of our highly experienced coaches.